The Five Best Cheap International Cities to Retire In
Would you retire OVERSEAS to save money? The magazine"International Living"looked at a bunch of tourist destinations where you can live comfortably on less than $30,000 a year. Here are five exotic places where you can live on the cheap . . .
1. Akumal, Mexico (pronounced AH-coo-mahl) Two people can live there for just under $27,000 a year. It's an up-and-coming tourist spot, about 60 miles down the coast from Cancún.
2. Lagos, Portugal (pronounced LAH-goss). . . $25,000 a year. It's another beach city. And it's in Europe, so it's easy to travel to other countries.
3. Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica . . . just over $24,000 a year. It's right on the beach and has a bunch of great restaurants.
4. Medellín, Colombia (pronounced Meh-deh-JEAN). . . $24,000 a year. It's Colombia's second-biggest city. So there's lots to do, and it has over 30 universities.
5. Volcán, Panama (pronounced Vohl-CAHN). . . $18,000 a year. The downside is it's a mountain town in the middle of nowhere. So you definitely need to know Spanish. And it's right next to an active volcano.